Tuesday, April 24, 2012

whats up in Tulsa?

Hello all, I%26#39;ve been to Tulsa a couple of times over the past 6 months, I%26#39;m thinking of moving there - I%26#39;ve been back here in Connecticut for about 15 years, but this place just keeps getting more and more crowded and expensive - our electric rates were justed raised 23%! I own a small business, so I%26#39;m always aware of ';what the overhead is';. I used to live in Texas and liked it a lot. I%26#39;ve been to about 10 cities from CharlotteNC west to Ok City, but somehow Tulsa seems to be rising to the top of the list.....it seemed very managable as far as traffic, cost of living, etc. I spent some time up and down Mem Drive, saw the YMCA, golf courses, nice apts, - I know theres a lot more to Tulsa , but I wanted some feedback as to what the overall trend is there, and any other general comments about the quality of life in Tulsa....thanks all. Bobby.



whats up in Tulsa?


Well Bobby, by now you may have already moved to Tulsa! But as a native Tulsan, I will say this city is growing too. The quality of life is very general question, and I can only share how it is for me. For the most part, no matter what the TV news says about crime, I feel very safe here. Traffic truly isn%26#39;t a problem, unless it%26#39;s due to construction - and right now Yale Ave which is the main street to my home, my office, my grocery store.. you name it... is torn up and has made me find new routes to everywhere. One thing I believe you%26#39;ll find about Tulsa is the overall friendliness and helpfulness of the people. And as a small business owner myself, you%26#39;ll find the Chamber of Commerce here most supportive.



Let me know if there are specific things you would like to know... and hope you become one of us!



whats up in Tulsa?


Julie and Bill : Thanks for the feedback, I was in Tulsa in late January, it was about 5:30 pm on a Thursday, and I got out of town on the highway without delay - that was impressive! I felt quite safe in Tulsa, I think all cities are somewhat alike in that there are always good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods, you get what you pay for. I%26#39;m still crunching some numbers, but I think all things considered, Tulsa is an excellent city. Thanks for your post. Bob.




Bobby, compared to Connecticut you will find the quality of life in Oklahoma to be quite a change. You will find the pace to be slow, the atmosphere to be relaxed, the weather to be warm, and the people to be friendly.




Another Tulsan here. I%26#39;d say that we have ZERO traffic compared to cities in your neck of the woods. In fact, since we moved here from Dallas in 1998 I told my wife that she should kick me out if I ever complain about traffic in Tulsa. Oh, the cost of living is very affordable and the pace is MUCH slower than larger cities. If that%26#39;s too your liking, come on down to t-town.




Like I say, I was impressed with the fact that I had no delays whatsoever in getting out of Tulsa at 5:30 PM on a Thursday - keep in mind I was in a rental car and had a 23 hour ride ahead of me back to CT. I work weird hours so I can usually circumvent the traffic, but it seems like you always hit it when you least want to. I spent a little time around Mem Drive, saw the Thornton YMCA, La Fortune Park, all the shops and stores, I figure pretty much all I need in Tulsa can be found right in that area. When I look at the cost of real estate, Tulsa looks like a bargain compared to CT - people here are paying $60-70M/acre FOR SWAMPLAND, just to live in the ';right'; suburb. It%26#39;s not worth it, I don%26#39;t like the suburbs anyways. Thanks for the feedbacks, people. Bobby.




Tulsa is a very livable smaller city, with VERY LOW cost of living! No traffic, great homes. Good business climate and getting better. Great live music scene, good arts (opera, ballet %26amp; some growing independent theatre companies) %26amp; minor league sports (all the fun without the high cost).





Lately crime has been in the news--our murder rate is up, but these are not ';stranger murders'; but are almost always acquaintances or gang related.





And if you like golf, there are some great public courses here and of course some excellent private courses as well. We can play 9 mo./year on average--plus some in the winter if you%26#39;re willing to go play on a workday if it gets up above 50%26#39;.





Moving here from CT you%26#39;ll enjoy the markedly lower housing prices here--you%26#39;ll get a great deal for what you pay, compared to CT.


  • acne treatment
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment