Monday, April 23, 2012

Possible move to Tulsa

My company asked if I had any interest in working in Oklahoma and living in Tulsa area, I didnt say no but I have never even thought of living there. Well after going online and seeing the home prices and all the area has to offer it looks like a place to at least consider. As a east coast guy I was surprised how much I liked KC so maybe I would like Tulsa. Can anyone tell me how Tulsa is as a place to live. I have a family with school age kids...Thanks !!



Possible move to Tulsa


Couldn%26#39;t go anywhere better than Tulsa for ';family w/school age kids';.



Please don%26#39;t let RE agents take you to south Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Owasso, Jenks, etc (%26#39;burbs of Tulsa).


Look at downtown, mid-town Tulsa to get a true feel for the beauty of the town. Lovely, gracious homes, art deco buildings, great private university (Univ of Tulsa), and eclectic shopping areas.



Tulsa has a nation-wide reputation for bible-thumping cowboys, but please look deeper. There is a thriving arts community, museums, theater, and - the place is wide-open for new ventures!



Take a look......you may be surprised.


-



Possible move to Tulsa


I agree with the last post on Tulsa being a good place to raise your family. However, I don%26#39;t agree with the comment on looking at the central Tulsa area. Tulsa Public Schools are not very good at all. That%26#39;s one of the reason%26#39;s many people move out of the district to the %26#39;burbs. Jenks is one of the best schools in the state. Union Schools would be my choice to provide my children with a quailty school and the district is quite large so it allows a nice choice of areas to live in. http://www.unionps.org/



http://www.jenksps.org/




Thanks for the comments. I am more of a neighborhood guy and prefer traditional older neighborhoods. I doubt Id like to live in a area that looks generic. Id send my kids to private if I can swing it. Anyway , I love KC when I go there for work so maybe its a fit with Tulsa, My wife and I are flying out next month for a 3 day weekend to see what we think of Tulsa. Oklahoma Runner magazine shows lots of road races..




We have traveled all over the country, and we find Tulsa to be one of our favorite places. Amazingly good arts for the size of the town, and a nice cosmopolitan feel. Great neighborhoods, as the other poster said. Easy to get around in, nice variety of life options. We live 100 miles away, but travel to Tulsa often and are considering it for retirement in a few years. If you like KC, you%26#39;ll like Tulsa.




I was job transferred to Tulsa, about 7 years ago, from Dallas. I enjoy it as a small city, that still has plenty of events, and festivals going on. There is a Ballet company here, and a few live theatres.


There is a large selection of restaurants available, depending on your tastes, from sushi, to Viet Namese, to a variety of Mexican.



The schools south of 61st St. south are much better than anything offered north of there.




Thanks I will keep that in mind when I vist




I do not know where that last poster gathered his information... Since you state you have school age children you must be very careful as to which/what neighborhood you choose to live. The fact of the matter is that the public schools in Tulsa are substandard. You will have to select a private school or your choices are Broken Arrow, South Tulsa (either Jenks or Union), or Owasso.




I appreciate the comments by all, I am not sure I want to live in the burbs outside of town where everything is new. I tend to like old neighberhoods, maybe its the east coast in me, Id like to find a decent school system in town, if not, I hope I could afford the private schools. I am trying to plan a 3 day weekend to fly out with wife now to see things for myself. I do want safe though since I am on road occaisonally.




What do you guys think of Norman as a place to live ?




Norman is a nice enough town, very much a university town in a lot of ways, including the good (lots of activities associated with campus) and the bad (lots of not-so-great rentals and bars). Norman is much smaller than Tulsa but on the edge of OKC, but it seems to be booming right now: lots of growth. You won%26#39;t find the variety of restaurants and museums in Norman that you would in Tulsa, and you won%26#39;t find many cultural outlets in Norman other than what is associated with OU. To me--and I%26#39;ve lived/travelled all over the country--Tulsa has much more of an eastern ';feel'; about it while OKC has much more of a western ';feel. A big factor for me, personally, is that Tulsa the outdoor recreation near Tulsa is much more appealing than that near Norman/OKC; Tulsa is near the Illinois River, the most floatable river in the state, and northwest Arkansas, which provides great mountains, hiking, and floating. Central/western Oklahoma rely primarily on hunting and man-made-lakes for recreation.

No comments:

Post a Comment