Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Concerts in Tulsa

We live in southeastern SD and I%26#39;ve always been drawn to the Tulsa area. Not sure why cause we%26#39;ve never been there and don%26#39;t have family there. I%26#39;ve done a lot of research and found a lot of wonderful things there that we%26#39;d love to see. The zoo and aquarium in Jenks and the Methodist Church just to name a few. It just looks like a beautiful city. We live in a small town and aren%26#39;t used to traffic so we%26#39;re opting to fly down and take the bus to the places we want to see. My question is about concerts in Tulsa. Is there a website where we can see what%26#39;s coming for entertainment? We like the golden oldies music of the 60s and 70s. Does anyone know of a place that regularly would hold those types of concerts or dances?



Concerts in Tulsa


go online to the tulsaworld website.



Concerts in Tulsa


Hey Jammie. I%26#39;ve been to Mitchell! Glad to hear that you%26#39;re planning a visit to Oklahoma.





Tulsa is really a fairly small city, easy to navigate and negotiate. I%26#39;m not sure how great their bus system is, but you shouldn%26#39;t worry about renting a car. It%26#39;s not like driving in Dallas or New York.





I%26#39;m not sure of specific music venues to suggest, but here are some web pages to consult. Music-cal (www.musi-Cal.com) is a searchable data base of live music events; just put in Tulsa and go from there. Urban Tulsa (www.urbantulsa.com) is a local weekly entertainment newspaper; it will give you a list of clubs with live music and of upcoming events, though not a lot of details. Cain%26#39;s Ballroom is an historic venue with live music every weekend; the type of music changes regularly, but you can check the latest schedule (www.cainsballroom.com).





Hope that helps.




Hi Radio, it%26#39;s nice to hear that someone from down there was up here and is even familiar with the town I come from. Small world, heh??? Thank you so much for those links and the info. It looks like Cain%26#39;s Ballroom has some good entertainment at times. Thanks again.




Jammie, About 40 years ago, my grandfather showed me some pictures of the Corn Palace. I was fascinated. So when I got older, first time I headed to Montana, I made a point of going to Mitchell on the way. Nice people in Mitchell and we had a good lunch there. My wife thought I was pulling her leg about the Palace, but it was everything I hoped it would be. I%26#39;ll get there again one of these days.





Cains is quite an historic place. You%26#39;ll enjoy going there.





In addition to Boston Ave. Methodist, downtown Tulsa has a great many art deco buildings. Be sure to check them out.





And the Gilcrease Museum (www.gilcrease.org) has a great western art collection.




Radio, glad you liked the Palace. It%26#39;s often used as such a joke that it takes away from the uniqueness and beauty of it. It really is art. Since you%26#39;ve been here and know what traffic we%26#39;re used to, what is your opinion on this. We%26#39;ve considered driving to Tulsa and trying to find our way around there AND we%26#39;ve considered just flying down and using TulsaTransit. Would we be overwhelmed by the traffic since we have never been in the area and aren%26#39;t familiar with anything?




First, you have to understand that I am a driving fool; my answers may be skewed. I would rather drive anywhere than fly; I hate the whole hurry-up-and-wait, airport herd mentality. Plus I always get a cold after I fly. So for me, driving is always the best way to get there. And I%26#39;ve never seen a city I couldn%26#39;t get around in (although Boston is pretty discouraging for out-of-town drivers). I even drove in London fresh off an overnight flight, so nothing much bothers me.





That said, I think you would find Tulsa easy to negotiate. The streets are generally straight and grid like. The highways are generally uncrowded and well marked. Drivers tend to be courteous. If you look at a map and have a mental picture of where you%26#39;re headed before you start, you should be fine.





Keep in mind that Tulsa%26#39;s not a huge city. Less than a million in the whole urban area. This is much smaller than Minneapolis, Kansas City, or Denver, for example.




Thanks again for the info. We%26#39;re pretty opposite about the driving scene. LOL I love to fly and be there NOW. I have motion sickness and car traveling is not my thing. A million people sounds like a lot of people to this old hick. That%26#39;s more then the population of SD. LOL I just know it%26#39;ll be worth the trip though and it%26#39;s good to hear that driver%26#39;s are courteous because my impression of OK is that people would be friendly just like they are up here.




30 year resident of Tulsa here.





IMHO, our bus system is no where near what you might expect from a metropolitan city. Although I have noticed lately that they have been making efforts to improve, I believe buses are still few and far between, and not frequented by the general public. Additionally, I don%26#39;t believe our taxis are regulated, and you won%26#39;t see any except maybe at the airport - you would have to call for one even downtown. If anyone disagrees with me, feel free to chime in.





I would suggest that you rent a car - Tulsa is a very drivable city (laid out in a grid) and other than the 71st and Memorial shopping area, there is rarely heavy traffic.




Tulsa is really easy to drive around--streets are gridlike %26amp; street names are organized (either numbers or alphabetically. You should definitely rent a car rather than plan on city buses. Traffic is not at all like that in a larger city--very easy to drive here. And don%26#39;t forget to visit the Philbrook Museum, a wonderful old oil mansion built in the early 1900%26#39;s, now a museum, with excellent (%26amp; recently rebuilt) gardens. Cains %26amp; Tulsa World websites are two of the best to track the music scene here. If you%26#39;re a zoo fan, we%26#39;ve been spending a lot in the last few years improving the Tulsa Zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment