Thursday, April 26, 2012

Visiting Oklahoma City/Tulsa last week of December, need...

My husband, myself and 6 year old daughter are traveling from Iowa to Oklahoma the last week of December for family fun. We are planning on staying 4-5 days between Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Can anyone suggest good places to stay, we want a nice, reasonably priced hotel in either city with a great pool.





Also if there are ';not to miss'; things we should do, or places to dine, non-chain please, let us know! We can%26#39;t wait to visit!





Thanks!





Shari







Visiting Oklahoma City/Tulsa last week of December, need...


Neither Tulsa nor OKC is known for its unique local hotels. My favorite is the Hotel Ambassador in Tulsa, but it doesn%26#39;t have a pool that I%26#39;m aware of. The Waterford in Oklahoma City (now the Marriott Waterford) also has a uniqueness about it; I believe its pool is outdoors but heated. You might want to check on both of those. Perhaps your best bet would be to stay near the downtown/ Bricktown area of Oklahoma City where you%26#39;ll find a good Renaissance, Sheraton, and Courtyard (I don%26#39;t know about pools for them). Otherwise, you%26#39;re pretty much looking at a chain place along a major highway, to the best of my knowledge.





Both cities have fine art museums, the OKCMOA in OKC and the Gilcrease and the Philbrook in Tulsa. Downtown Tulsa has phenomenal art-deco architecture, and OKC has the Murrah bombing memorial. For me, all of those would be ';don%26#39;t miss'; activites.





Aside from that, what kinds of activities and adventures do you like? Tell me more about your interests, and I%26#39;ll see if I can come up with more suggestions.



Visiting Oklahoma City/Tulsa last week of December, need...


Radio, thanks for the info, no need to be a unique hotel, just a nice hotel with a nice pool. That is one of the things our daughter said we had to have.





We are definatly looking to see the memorial in Oklahoma City. We are looking for family fun for us (in our early 30s) and our 6 year old daughter. I read about the tubing hill in downtown OK City, is that a good one? But she does like science, zoo%26#39;s, dinosaurs, animals, music and art.





Thanks for the help! I think downtown area might be a good idea... know anything about the Embassy Suites?





Thanks again,





Shari




I know that the Courtyard Downtown in a very nice hotel. We stayed there last June and was very pleased with it. I think it is like less than two years old. The beds were so comfortable. They do have a indoor pool. You have to pay for parking at the parking garage since there is not much parking in downtown. I know that the Embassy Suites have an indoor pool also. I have not stayed there though. The memorial is a must. I think you can call this number at the okc visitors Bureau and ask for an Oklahoma City Visitors Guide and this book has all the hotels and information about downtown in it. The number is 1-800-225-5652. Hope this helps.


Marianna




Oh Shari, I didn%26#39;t notice the six year old before. Here%26#39;s the perfect thing for her: the Museum of Natural History in Norman (on the southern edge of the OKC metropolitan area). Dinosaurs and other great kid-friendly exhibits. http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/





The Omniplex science museum is also great fun for kids. And it%26#39;s right next to the OKC zoo. http://www.omniplex.org/





I haven%26#39;t been to the OKC zoo in years, so I can%26#39;t comment on it, but the Tulsa zoo has a wonderful indoor rain forest, a walk-in exhibit with the animals in among native plants and the birds flying free. Very nice.





They put up an outside ice skating rink in OKC near the symphony hall; should be open when you%26#39;re here.




Thanks Mary and Radio, you have both been great help! I have the Tulsa Zoo down on the list, as well as the Museaum in Norman and the Omniplex. We are so looking forward to the trip!





Thanks!





shari




Shari,



We were in OKC over the weekend visiting the OKC Museum of Art. They have a great (permanent) exhibit of Chihuly glass sculptures; I think even your six-year-old would like it. Very colorful.





The Courtyard that Mary recommended is in a great location in Bricktown, which is an entertainment district built in an old warehouse area. You will find lots of dining, clubs, a new multi-screen cinema, and a Bass Pro Shop in close proximity.





Hope your trip is great.





Kevin




Kevin, the art museaum sounds great! She loves art, and I think it would make for a afternoon. We are definatly looking at downtown OK City, sounds really cool for exploring, and hear depending on the weather, the canal boat will be running.





We did decided to stay at the Resident%26#39;s Inn in OK City and also Tulsa, and have heard good things about them. Can%26#39;t wait to hit the malls too!





Kevin, do you work on radio? I see your screen name has radio in it? I worked 10 years in the business.





Shari




If you are staying at Residence Inn West (off Reno) you may want to change your mind. It is somewhat run down and in real need of updating.





The Residence Inn - Crossroads Mall is a nice place and is much newer. Also, sits in the parking lot of a shopping mall and you can walk to one of the newest movie theaters in town.





Also, it is right off of I-35.





A little further out is the Residence Inn - Norman, which is WONDERFUL. I stayed there last week and have decided that I will stay there when I return to OKC (I travel up there at least once a month).




we are staying at the Resident%26#39;s in by the mall. Thought it would be a good idea since I so love to shop! They have a great Holiday special, just 89 a night, and very worth the price with a hot breakfast and a managers reception each week night.





I did see pictures of the one you were saying needs updating, I could not agree more!





Thanks,





Shari




If you are into state history, the Oklahoma History Center just opened this past Saturday. It is located near the state capital, just off of N.E.23rd St. on Laird Ave. The exact address is 2401 N Laird Ave. OKC. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for students. Kids 5 and younger are free. Hours are M-Sat. 9:00-5:00, 12:00-5:00 on Sunday.


There was a big write up in the Tulsa Sunday paper and it looked very interesting!


For more info go to


www.okhistorycenter.org


Have a great vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment