Tuesday, April 24, 2012

family relocating to oKC

Dear Readers,



My husband and I are relocating to OKC in late June, and also expecting our first child about that same time. I am a little anxious as we are a muslim family from detroit, michigan. I know this is quite forward, but I would appreciate some honest answers. Should we anticipate prejudism or any hate from the OKC community? I am born and raised American, but I do wear the head convering. Should I feel safe going out alone for groceries and the such, especially with a newborn? Please help.



Thanks


Suzan



family relocating to oKC


Hi Suzan.



You should not have any trouble in OKC or Edmond. I would stay away from the small rural towns outside of the city. My daughter has a friend in her third grade class whose family is from Pakistan and also Muslim and she (her friend) has not had any trouble. In fact the schools celebrate Multi-cultural day every year and every one is invited to share their heritage with the class. I hope things go well and congratulations on your new baby.



family relocating to oKC


Oklahomans are, by and large, a welcoming, friendly group. Parts of the state are a little ';protected'; from outside influences; it%26#39;s less that the small towns will be hostile than that the small towns will find your dress unusual. I live in a small town, and we have people of all different faiths and nationalities; you would be welcome here as well.




thanks




Suzan,





I’m an Oklahoman, born %26amp; raised, and still have family there, however for the last 20 years I’ve lived in San Diego, CA but for the first 32 years in Oklahoma City.





When I meet people, who ask where I’m from and I say “Oklahoma” – if they’ve ever lived there, traveled through there or just know someone else who’s an Oklahoman, they always say that they believe Oklahoman’s are the nicest and most helpful of folks.





I don’t believe you will experience any trouble, you might get a question or two but that just us being curious. Were a “welcoming” group of people, I think you will enjoy living in Oklahoma and Oklahoma City.





Sincerely,



Donna Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment