Monday, April 23, 2012

Moving to Tulsa vs. KC

I grew up in KC and have had job offers in both KC and Tulsa. Married and looking to start a family. Wondering how conservative Tulsa is (is there a large fundamentalist influence) and if there is much to do versus KC. Currently living in Colorado Springs and not pleased with the influence of Focus on the Family in local politics.



Moving to Tulsa vs. KC


Tulsa is much smaller than KC, and much warmer. Winters are mild; summers can be hot. Tulsa traffic is light in comparison to KC, but so are the number and scope of offerings (concerts, for example, are going to be more plentiful and more spectacular in a larger city). I find Tulsa to be a very friendly, very livable city. Parts of the city are wonderful, and their cultural offerings are first rate. I find Tulsa and Colorado Springs to be similar in size and offerings and general feel, though I haven%26#39;t spent a great deal of time in the Springs.





I think that the whole country has shifted toward conservative fundamentalism, so I wouldn%26#39;t be surprised but what KC is more conservative and fundamental now than it was when you left it. That said, Tulsa is pretty conservative (although other parts of Oklahoma are a lot MORE conservative). Large fundamentalist churches are part of the lanscape everywhere I travel, Tulsa included; but I%26#39;m not aware of any powerful political force like Focus on the Family.





I have a liberal, well educated friend here who spent about five years living in both KC and Tulsa and loves them equally, returning to both regularly for weekend trips.



Moving to Tulsa vs. KC


I agree.....Tulsa is very conservative especially influenced by the big presence of Oral Roberts Univ...but that being said...great place to start a family and can buy a whole lot more house in Tulsa as you can in KC....and Tulsa%26#39;s housing is still a big buyers market after losing big employers the last few years...If you look in Tulsa the best schools are on the southside and its surrounding burbs (Broken Arrow, Jenks)




Having lived in Tulsa all my life, and at the age now of 53, I would say as far as conservative influences, Tulsa is not nearly as conservative as it used to be. For the most part now, I find it to be very balanced. Tulsa is growing in the diversity in every realm. And not speaking from statistics, I do believe, and perhaps this is due to size -Tulsa is a safer place to live - crime wise. I have visted KC many times due to the close locale - and I love the many things to do there. But Tulsa is adding new things constantly. Our downtown is undergoing changes that I believe will be very positive. We don%26#39;t have a major league sports team - but the minor hockey, baseball and of course college teams are well supported. People in Tulsa, care about one another. There is strong community involvement and I for one believe you would find it to be a wonderful place to live. I have had many friends, relatives and even my own grown children who have lived elsewhere around the country - but have now returned to Tulsa because they feel it%26#39;s a great place to raise their own families.




We see a little bit of fundamentalist influence in politcs, but not all that much, really. Last year the Mayor tried to get a creationism exhibit at the Tulsa Zoo, but failed; now it%26#39;s possible he%26#39;ll be voted out of office despite having a famous Tulsa name. Tulsa has excellent ballet %26amp; opera companies; AA baseball %26amp; local college athletics. The AA baseball team is a lot of fun to go watch--in AA you see a lot of rising stars and catch some current stars on rehab stints. Philbrook %26amp; Gilcrease museums are also a treat. Lots of good golf courses %26amp; we can play golf almost year-round (especially this winter). Tulsa ia a very livable city, with short commutes, good neighborhoods, very low cost of living. Come visit %26amp; see for yourself!




kc - You will find a good balance in T-town. That being said, you will also find that as you rise up a family you become more fundamentally conservative ;). I would not necessarily recommend Tulsa to those who think Colorado Springs is too fundamentalist. I like to think its a strength rather than a weakness.




Hello.





I lived in Tulsa from 98 to 06 and now live in Overland Park. I have found myself comparing the two towns and here is my two cents.





My husband loves sports, so for him there is no comparison between the two cities. Even though he loves OU he also loves



the atmosphere of the stadiums that overlook each other. The fans are very supportive of the teams and I find more ihere than Tulsa. Sometimes to an extreme. But that is coming from someone who loves to people watch more than game watch.





I love the City Market in Kansas City and didn%26#39;t find that as much in Tulsa. You would have the little markets on the side of the road but not much else.





My husband and I have notices as have alot of transplants as we call ourselves that it is hard to find a niche of friends to do things with. Even at work it seems like it is more of a close knit society versus Tulsa where people at times want to tell you their whole life story and then want yours too!





I think that the school systems in Jenks is good in Tulsa. I haven%26#39;t determined where the better ones are here,yet.





The job market is decent both places. I think it would depend on what avenues you want to pursue. Tulsa is big into Call Centers. Retail is bad, bad,bad in both towns.





Is there anything wlse you need to know? I don%26#39;t have any experience with the Focus On Family. What is that???


  • acne treatment
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment