Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mackintosh Inn is a gem!

I was looking at an array of B%26amp;Bs for my return visit to Tulsa after 21 years. I got an MA from TU and stayed on some years after and was figuring on one in the university area or near ';the sights.'; But I found Mackintosh Inn in Brookside and, remembering how cool Brookside had been, chose it. I%26#39;m very glad I did. Judy %26amp; Ken Bailey, the owners, were wonderful people, congenial yet assuring privacy. Their one suite is attached to the main house where they live and and its equipped with a grand, comfortable bed, lounge furniture, TV, microwave and fridge. I drove all over the polace looking for a corkscrew only to find one with the provided wine glasses in the room. Lots of Judy%26#39;s crafts decorate the room and some of the afghans were for sale. No complaints at all but what was special was that it was a getaway, like having your own efficiency apartment. This was especially nice for me because I had brought student papers to grade on my laptop and had lots of privacy to do that. I don%26#39;t remember a bonafide work desk but even so it%26#39;s the kind of place I%26#39;d like to stay to work on a novel or get a project done. It would be great for couples. The neighborhood is quiet, quaintly charming, tree-lined, and very safe for walks, and Peoria Ave., with its shops and restaurants is just a block away. The Mackintosh is also closeby the Philbrook Museum and the Arkansas River parks with their jogging/bike trails. Even though a bit up-market from the Brookside I remember, it still has that kind of hip quality that%26#39;s based on its audacious art deco architecture and little unassuming, local shops remains. No crowds. No hype. Instead of serving breakfast, the Baileys give vouchers for the nearby Brook Cafe, a simple diner with a big following that does wonderful breakfasts. (I was rightly cautioned to go before or after the church crowd the Sunday I was there, and sure enough there was a line out the door in mid- and late morning. Other days it was pretty full but there was always a table rightaway. I always went over the standard breakfast so paid a bit if my own money ($1-2) over the voucher allowance. The Brook seems to be the descendent of a breakfast place called Pat %26amp; Brooks Cafe that was a good bit smaller and perhaps on a different block. I liked the voucher idea because it%26#39;s at breakfast where I feel somewhat uncomfortable even at B%26amp;Bs I%26#39;ve loved, because of the lack of privacy. I had a great stay at the Mackintosh Inn and recommend it.



Mackintosh Inn is a gem!


Stayed at the MackIntosh Inn over Easter weekend, 2006. It was lovely! The grounds are beautiful and the room and bath, complete with terry robe, large-screen TV, and iron/ironing board, were a delight! The hosts are friendly and unobtrusive. Thank you so much for many kindnesses! I enjoyed my stay. M. L. B., Fort Worth


  • acne treatment
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment