Friday, March 30, 2012

Driving to Norman, OK and avoiding Oklahoma City?

In the end of April on weekday we%26#39;ll be driving from Amarillo, TX to Norman, OK and that would put us in Oklahoma City right around rush hours. Is there any better choice to get to Norman without going through OKC? At this point we are planning to use I-40 east from Amarillo but what exit to take and what route to use to get to Norman? The Residence Inn in Norman, where we are staying, is on Jefferson Street, I think it is near route 9. Thanks

Driving to Norman, OK and avoiding Oklahoma City?

You can exit I-40 at Sayre in far western Oklahoma (not long after the state line) and follow OK152, which is a pretty nice blue highway which parallels I-40. OK37 joins up with 152 and, when they split back apart, follow 37 through Tuttle to the H.E.Bailey Spur (a toll road) which puts you onto route 9. Then you%26#39;ll come into Norman from the south. Use Google Maps, put in Sayre to Norman, and click the ';avoid highways'; box to see this route (though they bring you into Norman via Moore, which doesn%26#39;t make much sense if you%26#39;re trying to miss traffic).

I%26#39;ve done this route a time or two; it%26#39;s a nice change. But I wouldn%26#39;t swear that it%26#39;s any faster than I-40 to I-240 to I-35 around OKC.

Driving to Norman, OK and avoiding Oklahoma City?

Twoprofs, thank you so much for your suggestion which I reviewed with a map in my hand. Your route has to be slower than I-40 but that is what we are looking for. I noticed on the map there is a Red Rock Canyon State Park. Is this a place you can recommend for a short stop to stretch our legs and maybe take a walk? If you think this park is a nice place to stop then we need to take I-40 and exit 101 to Hinton. From the park we could continue on route 37 and follow your directions. What do you think? We like to make short stops in spots with beautiful scenery to relax, take a walk, stretch legs, have a lunch/picnic


Red Rock is nice, a couple of nature trails, some great bluffs, picnic grounds. It would be an excellent spot to break up the day. http://www.oklahomaparks.com/detail.asp?id=1+5U+3606


Twoprofs, that%26#39;s what we%26#39;re going to do. Thank you for all your help.

Places


you can do that or just get off on 1-40 and take backroads down to norman via council rd going around airpoort and heading south. youll end up westside norman a few mins from 1-35 ( i believe nw 69th ave)

  • domain name hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment