Monday, April 16, 2012

What's the BEST time in OKC with two children?

I have two children, ages 8 %26amp; 11. We will be visiting OKC in July and are looking for the best time for our buck while there. I am very fair skinned (sunburn very easily) and would rather not spend the entire time outdoors in the heat, but will venture out if it%26#39;s something really unique or entertaining for the entire family. My husband has been working there for four years but since he works and then comes home, he knows little of the entertainment.



Please tell me the MUST SEE%26#39;S for July.



Thanks so much!



What's the BEST time in OKC with two children?


There is the OKC Zoo. World Class and lots of shade available.



http://www.okczoo.com/index.htm



And right by the zoo is the Omniplex - a hands on science museum geared toward kids the age of yours and younger. They have a planetareum there as well as an IMax %26#39;domed%26#39; theater:



www.omniplex.org/visi_deta.htm…



We also have Frontier City, an amusement park (with spotty Tripadvisor reviews), and Whitewater Bay, a water park:



http://www.frontiercity.com/



tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51560-d11…



http://www.whitewaterbay.com/



And, of course, there is the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum (formerly The Cowboy Hall Of Fame):



http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/



And there is the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History in Norman OK (with some dinosaur bones!):



http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/



I%26#39;m sure there will be more forthcoming!



:)



What's the BEST time in OKC with two children?


Thank you for the information. My son is very interested in tornado%26#39;s (even to the point where he has one painted on his bedroom wall destroying a barn and tractor!) Is there anything (museum, etc) where he can learn more? Also, what is your opinion on the Bricktown water taxi? I%26#39;ve heard mixed reviews due mainly to cost and length of the ride. Thanks again!




Oh, I just read some of your other posts, Mod....very informative! I know we will see the Memorial at night now as well as some of the other attractions you%26#39;ve listed on other posts. My children are very interested in history and native americans as well as more recent news and I think they will get a lot from visiting the memorial. I was working for the government (my local city hall) when the Murrah building went...it was very tragic nationwide of course, but working in a similar building, security was beefed up due to several copy cat people calling in with threats. It%26#39;s one of those things that I%26#39;ll always remember exactly where I was when I heard the news.




The Memorial is definitely a destination site here in OKC. The attached museum is very informative and touching and well worth a visit.



http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/



If you have interest in Native Americans, a couple of other places to consider -



The Oklahoma Historical Society:



http://www.okhistory.org/



And Indian City in Anadarko (about an hour drive from OKC):



Although there doesn%26#39;t appear to be any events scheduled for yoru July visit.



http://www.indiancityusa.com/home.asp



And for the military buff, there is the 45th Infantry Museum, also located in OKC:



http://www.45thdivisionmuseum.com/



Here is a list of things going on during July:



www.okccvb.org/calendar/month.php…



And finally, a full list of ';Things To See';:



http://www.okccvb.org/thingstosee.html



I know it%26#39;s a lot, but I bet you can find a few things to keep your kids entertained!



:)



Enjoy your visit to our fair city!




The National Weather Service is located at Norman, Oklahoma, about thirty minutes south of Oklahoma City on I-35.





Your son might enjoy seeing the Visitors Center. Tours can be arranged by telephoning.





Here%26#39;s the link: nwc.ou.edu/organizations.php





I hope you enjoy our state! We would love for you to post a trip report when you return home.










Another place your kids may like for a fun day is Incredible Pizza. They have buffet pizza, indoor go carts, bowling, indoor mini golf, indoor bumper cars and of course arcade games. It is located on NW Expressway near MacArthur. I too hope you enjoy your stay.




I prefer to call this place ';Inedible Pizza';



YUCK!!!



:)



But the kids do seem to like it.



There is one tip for the adults - don%26#39;t eat off the buffet. Ask them for a whole pizza to be delivered to your table. They do it for no extra cost and you don%26#39;t have to worry about someone having put their grubby little hands all over you food on the buffet line then putting it back because they changed their evil little minds.



LOL



(I really do love kids. I just don%26#39;t love the way they handle a buffet line. But for that matter, I%26#39;m not too crazy about the way some adults handle them either. :) )




We haven%26#39;t ate there, just took kids to play the games and rides. I agree, if I were to eat there I would order a whole pizza for the group.




My comments were mostly meant tongue-in-cheek. Yes, I think the pizza is awful - but it%26#39;s not really inedible. :)



And from what I%26#39;ve seen, the kids love the games - especially the in-door go-karts.




Wow, that%26#39;s one thing I miss about OKC. I REALLY wish Kauai had an Incredible Pizza. We did that about once a month. It wasn%26#39;t the BEST pizza, but it was certainly a good enough spread, and the military discount they gave was pretty decent, plus they are a Christian company, so I like to give them support.





We always went after church or other mid-day activity, so arrived about 1-2pm, ate immediately, let the kids play for 2-3 hours, eat again about 5-5:30, then go home, which gave us GREAT value for the money, relieved stress for mommy, and since it was only once a month, didn%26#39;t make me feel too bad about the junk food.

No comments:

Post a Comment